Thursday, May 18, 2017

Day 21: Larkspur to Tiburon






Day 21:  Larkspur to Tiburon
May 17th, 2017

14.71 miles in 6 hours 32 minutes

I took 9 different forms of public transit today, bus/train/subway/ferry to the start of the hike in Larkspur, and ferry/streetcar/subway/train/bus to get home from Tiburon.  After navigating across the Larkspur slough, I got ready for the day's walk in the Corte Madera mall before stores opened for the day.  It really struck me how they were selling the good life to only women of a certain age, a view of the world I've always bought into but never quite achieved, of simply having all the time and money and enthusiasm to live the good life of cuisine and clothing and travel so others will notice and like you.

Advertisement in The Village at Corte Madera 

I guess thoughts of the good life stretched into the walk around Tiburon, which is a small twisty road on the edge of the bay that has that look of Tahoe as a concentration of wealth and leisure.  In the middle of this stretch is Paradise Beach Park, and it did feel like an Elysian landscape when I took my lunch break there.  A hidden gem of a bayside park that will probably remain that way.

Paradise Beach Park, Tiburon

Paradise Beach Park, Tiburon

Paradise Beach Park, Tiburon

When I finally turned the corner to get a view of San Francisco, I was impressed by the four story houses that hang on the cliff side.  I dismiss their size from the water, but from the sidewalk they show the courage of living in a house hanging over the bay.

Top floor of a four story cliff house in Tiburon

Last mile to the Tiburon Ferry

I had to run the last mile to the Tiburon Ferry to make sure I caught it right at 2:25.  I thought I was going to the Ferry Building in San Francisco, but this ferry was headed to Fisherman's Wharf.  No problem, I hopped on the street car on Embarcadero to get to BART, which was crowded with a field trip of school kids.  Which was nothing compared to the Giants crowd coming home on Caltrain.  All part of the adventure.

Day 21:  Larkspur to Tiburon


    Starting Balance                                       11.99
  • Samtrans ECR to San Carlos Station                      2.05
  • Caltrain to Millbrae                                    3.75
  • BART to Embarcadero                                     4.65
  • Peet's Coffee at Ferry Building + breakfast sandwich    7.80
  • Ferry to Larkspur                                      11.00
  • Starbucks Coffee at Corte Madera mall                   4.35
  • Ferry from Tiburon to Fisherman's Wharf                12.50
  • F Train from Fisherman's Wharf to Embarcadero           2.25
  • BART to Millbrae                                        4.65
  • Caltrain to San Carlos                                  3.75
  • Samtrans ECR to Home                                    2.05
    Ending Balance                                         70.79


Kombucha of the Day -- Cranberry







Voice Notes:


Original dictation (read phonetically):  Clearest day on the trail yet. I can see the light hell with barely any missed. I've never quite seen the Berkeley hills that clean.

Corrected dictation:  Clearest day on the trail yet. I can see Vallejo with barely any mist. I've never quite seen the Berkeley hills that clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TAGQ Episode 10: Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't

 TAGQ Episode 10:  Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't Sparky the Fire Chief Sparky The Penguin from Tom Tomorrow (Dan...