Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Day 9: Jack London Square to Berkeley

FDR's Presidential Yacht at Jack London Square



Day 9:  Jack London Square to Berkeley
April 24th, 2017

10.37 miles in 5 hours 30 minutes


I walked thru the industrial and shipping district surrounding the Port of Oakland today.  It's an awesome place full of heavy industry and trucking traffic jams trying to get to the port. 


Traffic Jam on Middle Harbor Road, Oakland


Came across an impressive metal sculpture business as well.  Looked like they were working on a sculpture park in their back lot.  Or maybe they went out of business?



West Oakland Sculpture Garden

West Oakland Sculpture Garden



Then I walked to Emeryville on the renamed Mandela Parkway (formerly Cypress St.).  This has a curving center boulevard parkway that was entertaining.  I didn't walk into downtown Emeryville, but instead walked out to the end of the Marina, crossing under I-80 for the first time.


Mandela Parkway, Oakland


I finished the day by covering some of the ground of the Berkeley Half-Marathon that I ran with my niece in 2013. 


Shoreline between Emeryville and Berkeley

 I ended at Gilman St., where the alcohol free punk-rock club is that gave Green Day its start.  My son's reggae band (at the time) played there back in 2014 as well and opened with their most ska song.

Day 9:  Jack London Square to Berkeley


Accounting: 

    Starting Balance                                       16.32
  • Coffee at Circle K                                      1.97
  • Caltrain to Millbrae (one zone day pass)                7.50
  • BART to Oakland 12th Ave Station                        4.95
  • Starbucks at Jack London Square                         5.70
  • Uber Pool plus tip to North Berkeley BART               5.99
  • BART from North Berkeley                                5.30
  • Uber Deliveries in RWC                                 (8.10)
    Ending Balance                                         39.63

Kombucha of the Day -- Forgot at home

Voice Notes:

I admit it. I have become tired of the sophomoric questions asked in programming interviews. Most always they fail to impress me with the maturity of the organization.

Those interviews feel oddly similar to having sons who at an early age know it all.

The thing I like about Uber is there focus on efficiency.

I've only been accosted by criminals and the police.  The vast majority of society I've run across is otherwise peaceful.

Emeryville is a bayside only city like Newark where it's boundaries don't extend to the hills behind.

I think I’m done with programming for anybody but myself. 

When you're out walking on a scenic beach people tend to think the better of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

TAGQ Episode 10: Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't

 TAGQ Episode 10:  Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't Sparky the Fire Chief Sparky The Penguin from Tom Tomorrow (Dan...