Saturday, May 13, 2017

Day 18: Novato to Northern San Rafael



Day 18:  Novato to Northern San Rafael
May 12th, 2017

10.47 miles in 4 hours 27 minutes



After Monday's hike from Petaluma to Novato, I drove to Oregon to pick up my middle son Ben from his sophomore year in college.  We drove back through Sisters Oregon so I could get another cap from the Sisters Bunkhouse.  I had lost the previous one in the first week of this hike.  

I have been to Sisters a few times, the first time staying at the KOA outside of town on a bike trip from Vandenberg AFB to Missoula Montana.  We camped an extra night in Sisters to recuperate, and I had the chance to explore the town like a summer tourist.  I guess that's why it sticks more in my mind than most towns on that trip.  But that's another story...


Middle son and I on the trail

Instead of driving all the way home from Sun River where we spent the first night, we stayed at a Motel 6 in San Rafael, and Ben went hiking with me today.  We started out near the Air Force's former Hamilton Field, which is a recently constructed section of the Bay Trail, complete with a flood wall that separates the hiking path from the biking path.  I suppose this will be mandatory for every section of the Bay Trail in the future.

Flood wall in front of homes built on Hamilton AFB

Walking with another person was a different experience, and I'm grateful my son agreed to experience a day on the trail.  I think he liked the nature part of it, and wasn't as excited as me to see the new Marin County version of Caltrain slide by through the marsh. 


Appreciating Nature's Design

We ended at the Marin County Civic Center, for which pictures will have to wait until tomorrow.  This is a civic building designed by but not built in Frank Lloyd Wright's lifetime.

Cormorant in pond by Marin County Civic Center

We made one more stop on the way home, catching my youngest son Adam playing JV baseball for Sequoia High in Pacifica.  The sweat from the trail combined with the wind in Pacifica left me quite chilled by the end of the day, which required a warm shower.  It is always nice to be home.



Day 18:  Novato to Northern San Rafael


Accounting: 

    Starting Balance                                       70.03
  • Motel 6 in San Rafael.                                117.99
  • Sandwiches, Apples, Strawberries, and Moz. Cheese.     22.95
  • Uber ride back to Novato                               18.75
    Ending Balance                                        229.72


Kombucha of the Day -- Root Beer again






Voice Notes:


It would be amazing to be in one of these houses where their second floor back windows just stare off across the whole bay.

I really like how they regulate development in Marin. Wide open areas are preserved, and developments are tucked against a hill.


Farther on in the day is when I kind of crawl down in myself and rest there while finishing the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TAGQ Episode 10: Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't

 TAGQ Episode 10:  Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't Sparky the Fire Chief Sparky The Penguin from Tom Tomorrow (Dan...