Sunday, April 23, 2017

Day 8: Oakland Coliseum to Jack London Square

Houses Along the San Leandro Bay Shoreline of Alameda



Day 8: Oakland Coliseum to Jack London Square
April 21st, 2017

9.64 miles in 5 hours 54 minutes


I walked along the waterway that separates Oakland from Alameda as it tidally flows from San Leandro Bay to the modern Port of Oakland.  There were a few homeless squattings in parking lots on this part of the trail, but nothing like between the Mission and South of Market in San Francisco.  I would want to live by the bay if I had no home as well (were the Ohlone's homeless?).


Homeless Possessions near the Bay


There is a big government owned island, called Coast Guard Island, in the middle of this waterway, attached by a bridge.  Now I understand why the Coast Guard could reduce their footprint in San Francisco by Chrissie Field (and sell some space to Gorbachev back in the day).  There is a huge ocean-ready Coast Guard ship ready to be launched at any moment docked on that island.  I've never seen it afloat under way.


Bridge to Coast Guard Island

The Embarcadero is the roadway built next to the Nimitz Freeway,  which itself was Oakland's first freeway built after WWII.  The Embarcadero must have replaced railroad tracks because land is scarce in this heavily trafficked corridor.  And some large seemingly public construction project is happening near the abandoned 28th Street Terminal of the Port of Oakland (and Embarcadero is closed).  I will have to go back to see what happens there -- an expansion of Jack London Square of some kind.


Port Of Oakland Abandoned 28th Ave Terminal

When I made it to Jack London Square a little before my 2 PM end-of-hike, I killed time in a waterfront acquatic sports shop.  I now know the difference between a surf paddle board (rounded front, wide body) and a touring paddle board (pointed front, narrow longer body).  Looks like another fun way to see the bay.


Sign Commemorating Terminus of Pony Express


Happily there is a free shuttle down Broadway from Jack London Square to the BART stop at 12th and Broadway.  Unhappily this free shuttle doesn't stop at every bus stop.  Oh well, I'll make sure to catch it back to the trail next time.



Oakland Coliseum to Jack London Square

Accounting: 

    Starting Balance                                       83.70

  • Uber Driving on 4/20 to Hippie Hill                   (41.47)
  • Starbucks Tall Decaf Coffee and Ethos Water             4.25
  • SamTrans ECR with Clipper to Sequoia Station.           2.05
  • BART from Downtown Oakland to Millbrae                  4.80
  • Uber Ride to Himawa Ramen in San Mateo                 16.58
  • Uber Ride from San Mateo to home                       16.92
    Balance                                                83.83

Kombucha of the Day -- fermented TJ Sweet Tea


Voice Notes:

Driving this car with automated cruise control is the opposite of driving a train.  With the car you don't have to worry about the speed to keep it in the lane, with the trains you don't have to worry about keeping in a lane have to worry about speed.

Ran into Silas of savesfbay.org, they are having a volunteer session this morning to plant new plants and remove non-native ones from the tidal zones.  

My writing and programming is getting better on this trek. Probably because I am doing them with a time limitation.

I like to attack problems empirically, working with the facts on the ground. It's not that I don't value reference materials and prior art, but I want to ingest the concepts my own way. I find that leads me to new and different conclusions then the crowd arrives at.

I have this natural understanding of computing based on the 30 year pursuit of a theory. I wonder if that'll get me a job again.

Certainly feels more like a city as I get closer to the center of the bay.

How do I get musically motivated from the younger musical musicians that go through the house?

These voice no it's really at the color commentary to the whole thing.

The previous note has an example of something phonetically misspelled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

TAGQ Episode 10: Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't

 TAGQ Episode 10:  Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't Sparky the Fire Chief Sparky The Penguin from Tom Tomorrow (Dan...