Saturday, October 7, 2017

Day 10: Land of Giants


Day 10:  Land of Giants
Oct. 6th 2017
(Circle the Bay Part Two)


491 miles in 11 hours


(Total 4462 miles in 91 hours)


click to enlarge


Writing to follow at next stop, but had to publish so I could test video link.  In the meantime, enjoy Frank Zappa.

Ok stopped for a Sasuage McMuffin with Egg on I-5 to finish this blog entry.  

I-70's course thru Utah and then Nevada on the way to Las Vegas is a stretch of naturally sculpted rock vistas of great variety.  On my first trip west we had turned north toward Salt Lake City before encountering a lot of the amazing views of this stretch.  I-70 has I-80 beat for amazing rest stop vistas by far.

All along this trip I've been studying the results of erosion against upheaval, and most landscapes make sense to me.  Except for this stretch, where its seems larger forces are at play than I can imagine.  Pictures I've taken do it little justice.  To do it justice would require a rider prepared to point and shoot out the car window with better equipment than an iPhone.

Maple Grove Campground

Maple Grove Campground

French Toast and Bacon for Breakfast

Driving thru Las Vegas today I couldn't find the words.  I did take pictures of a few towers.




A brighter future was portrayed, literally, on I-15 west of Las Vegas where solar collecting towers sit in the midst of a field of mirrors focused on the tower.  These towers glow in an otherworldly Steven Spielberg way.

Solar Collecting Towers West of Las Vegas

Then on into a California sunset and the Californian desert.  It was dark but moonlit before I pitched the tent in this Bureau of Land Management campground.  There were warning signs to watch for desert tortoises on the dusty road carved out of the terrain to reach the campground.  It was so warm compared to the night before in the Utah high desert.
California Sunset
Giants of Electricity

Watch Out For Desert Tortoise Crossings

Fully Moonlit Night in Owl Canyon Campground

Album of The Day:  Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention


No comments:

Post a Comment

TAGQ Episode 10: Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't

 TAGQ Episode 10:  Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't Sparky the Fire Chief Sparky The Penguin from Tom Tomorrow (Dan...