Friday, October 6, 2017

Day 9: Go West Young Man

Day 9:  Go West Young Man
Oct. 5th 2017
(Circle the Bay Part Two)


478 miles in 10 hours


(Total 3971 miles in 80 hours)


Click to enlarge

My AirBnB for the Night with a View of Denver

View of Denver
Bronco's Mile High Stadium in Denver
The Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70

Still Snow on Copper Mountain

Descending the Colorado River through the Glenwood Canyon I started to feel at home in the West again.  Now I was back to the dry mountainous territory I've lived in for half my life.  
Trail Maps for ATV's and Mountain Bikes in Western Colorado

Mormon Rafting Group on the Colorado River
Rest Stop with a View in Utah

Thomas Utah
The campground at the end of the day was a National Forest one, in a grove of maples up the side of long wide draw where US 50 runs north from I-70 to Salt Lake City.  The maples being deciduous were turning red, which gave a splash of vegetative color to the otherwise colorful stone covered with evergreens.

Salina Utah
Maple Grove National Forest Campground,  Fillmore, Utah
Blogging like this takes a certain effort to find and use internet coverage while moving across the vast  United States.  And it seems writing is the thing I always leave to last, something to finish before really starting the next days trek.  

I would have a lot more material if I was using Voice Notes like I did walking the bay.  But I'm not quite there with comfort at dictating while driving.  So instead I just tell myself stories and observations and try to remember them.

Here's an observation to end this entry:  the Interstate system of continuous roadways that flow freely from state to state is truly the thing that binds us as Americans.  More than the taxes or voting we do in private.  More than the story we tell ourselves about our past or our future.  It is those freeways with their uniform signage and uniform rules of the road that makes everywhere in the United States feel like the United States, to all its citizens and all its visitors and immigrants.  And it is the completely democratic method to see the land, available to all.  Hypertubes, the bar has been raised pretty high.

Full Moon Tonight

Album of The Day:  Fugazi, The Argument


No comments:

Post a Comment

TAGQ Episode 10: Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't

 TAGQ Episode 10:  Cartoon Penguin Rock Stars and The Winter That Wasn't Sparky the Fire Chief Sparky The Penguin from Tom Tomorrow (Dan...